Tropical Kettle Sour Ale Brewed with "Censored" - Mighty Axe Hops
- Style: Sour Ale
- Liters: 70
- Original Gravity: 1.061
- Final Gravity: 1.015
- ABV: 6%
- IBU: 38
- SRM: 4.7
- 10.00 kg (55%) of UK Pale Ale Malt
- 7.00 kg (39%) of German Pilsner Malt
- 1.00 kg (6%) of Rice Hulls
- 50 grams of Mighty Axe Hops Censored for 60 mins
- 50 grams of Mighty Axe Hops Censored for 45 mins
- 50 grams of Mighty Axe Hops Censored for 30 mins
- 50 grams of Mighty Axe Hops Censored for 15 mins
- 50 grams of Mighty Axe Hops Censored for 1 mins
- 350 grams of Mighty Axe Hops Censored in Dry Hopping for 3 days
- Community Cultures Yeast Lab Kveik
- 68 °C/152 °F for 60 mins
- 77 °C/170 °F for 15 mins
After the mash process and a short boil (15 mins) to sterilize, chill the wort to 37 °C (98 °F) and add 1 kg of unmilled Pale Ale malt to the kettle. Keep the temperature of 37 °C/98 °F for 48 hours. The PH, after 48 hours of soaked malt, is 3.8. Now start the boil and add the hops like a standard brew day. Chill the wort and pitch your favorite yeast strain.
We used CCYeastLab's Kveik yeast. Fermented for 7 days at 23C degrees, then raises the temperature for 48 hours for the diacetyl rest. Add the desired quantity of hops in dry hopping for 3 days at fermentation temperature, lower the temp to 12C degrees for 48 hours and then transfer the beer to the keg and carbonate at 10/15 psi for about 10 days.
A kettle Sour Ale with a good sourness in combination with a complex fruity aroma (mainly orange and peach) of MightyAxeHops Censored hop, the yeast gives a tropical fruit flavor that complete the profile of the beer. How can I describe it? A fruit-sour flavors explosion, it's delicious. Are you not sure? I just want to tell you that I'm already preparing the next batch!